It being the first Sunday of September, we officially begin a new quarter of classes. For some, there will be changes in teachers or lesson material and, for others, there will be no change at all. Some of these things have been outlined before, but here they are, as a reminder…
- The Teen Boys’ class will have a new book. We will begin the first chapter of “Headed to the Office”, based on the qualifications of an elder or bishop. The goal of this study is to prepare them to be the leaders in the church of the future.
- The Teen Girls’ class will continue, much as it has for the last few months. Sandy Sole will be absent for an extended period of time. Marissa Webb will teach while she and Gary are away. Marissa’s classes will continue studying “Daughters of the King”.
- The Wednesday class will continue the Horizons book, published by Gospel Advocate. However, there will be a shuffling of teachers, as Jerry and Melinda Maxwell have agreed to take the class for awhile. We look forward to our teens building a relationship with the Maxwells through this quarter.
We have three Youth Devotionals coming up for the Fall Quarter. You can check our event calendar for the dates and times. The next devotional will be held at the home of Bob and Amelia Hayes on Saturday, September 20.
Also, we thank those who allowed their children to participate in the Youth Movie Night on Sunday. We apologize to the parents for finishing later than intended, but we appreciate you allowing your children to stay, anyway. It was not our plan to keep you waiting so long. We will try to plan events such as this better in the future.
Thank you for being a part of the lives our youth.
We will be having a Youth Movie Night at the Gilroy church building on August 31, following evening services. Since schools are out for Labor Day, there should be little conflict for all of our young people. The movie we have chosen is LITTLE RED WAGON (rated PG, Dove.org Family Approved).
We will also use this opportunity to put together Magi boxes. Mary Ellen is providing the material for the boxes. We will be sending them to one boy and one girl, both in the 8 to 9-year-old range. It is a wonderful way to continue encouraging the teachings from our recent lesson on the “Good Samaritan”.
Parents, we hope you will plan for your child(ren) to join us August 31, and, of course, parents are welcome to stay as well.
THIS COMING SATURDAY, there will be a Youth Day hosted by the Blackman Church of Christ (1353 Brinkley Road, Murfreesboro, TN). The day will begin at 9am, ending at 2pm. If any of our young people would like to go, please let me know ASAP. This is a wonderful way for our teens to get to know others their own age from other congregations.
Also, we will soon begin a new quarter. Our classes will continue much like they did in the Summer Quarter, with a change of teachers for the Wednesday classes.
- I will continue teaching the Boys’ Class on Sunday morning. We will be studying a new book starting in September. The new book is titled, “Headed to the Office”, and written by Glenn Colley. This material is aimed at preparing our young men to be leaders in the church.
- The Girls’ Class on Sunday will continue to be co-taught by Marissa Webb and Sandy Sole. Marissa has already begun using the book, “Everyday Princess: Daughter of the King”, written by Sheila Butt. This series of lessons covers subjects such as dating and relationships, as well as making God their first love.
- The Wednesday night class will continue to be a combined class for all teens. We will also continue using the “Horizons” book, published by Gospel Advocate. The Fall Quarter will have a change in teachers, however, as Jerry and Melinda Maxwell have volunteered to take the class for awhile. We feel it is a wonderful opportunity for our young people to be better acquainted with our pulpit minister, and we appreciate the Maxwells for the willingness to be involved with our teens.
We look forward to your participation in all of our teen activities, especially as we enter the Fall Quarter. We are excited about everything that is to come!
We have many great things happening within our youth group lately. A big thank you to Gary and Sandy Sole for hosting the most recent devotional last Saturday. We are so thankful for all those who attended and, especially, those who helped. We all had a great time, and we look forward to September.
Our next devotionals will be hosted by the following: September – Bob and Amelia Hayes; October – Ronald and Janet Luther; November – Willie and Brenda Hughes. We will share those exact dates with you as we decide on them. We thank all of these for taking an interest in our young people.
So, our Sounds game was a SUCCESS! We had 26 to attend (even though Bro. Jerry didn’t get to stay). The bus was nearly full! We appreciate all who participated. I hope that, because of the success of this event, there will be many more like it in the near future.
I was told this week that the Blackman Church of Christ in Murfreesboro will be hosting a Youth Day, held at their building. The date will be Saturday, August 16th, from 9am to 2pm. Chris Miller, I believe, is their speaker. If you are interested in going, please see myself or Marissa to let us know. Transportation may be provided, if needed.
Parents, keep in mind that Marissa and I will be away from Gilroy for the next two weeks, starting the 20th, as I will be leading singing in a Gospel Meeting and also for vacation. Gary and Sandy Sole will be teaching the Sunday morning classes and Ronald and Janet Luther will have the combined class on Wednesday, the 23rd (the 30th is Singing night). The Wednesday class will continue in the Horizons book, so we encourage you to have your child(ren) prepare themselves for the next lesson in the book. Marissa and I will, Lord willing, return the first Sunday in August.
We look forward to seeing you at Bible Study tonight!
For those going to the Sounds game tomorrow… just a little FYI…
- We will be leaving the church building at 5:30pm. The game will begin at 7:05pm, so this should give us plenty of time to get there.
- The tickets have been purchased and are in our possession. Those driving themselves to the game should already have theirs and will meet us at the game. For those riding the bus, tickets will be given when we arrive at Greer Stadium.
- Tickets do come with vouchers for a free hot dog and drink. Those will provided with your tickets.
Again, thank you all for participating. Our hope is that this will be a good time of fun and fellowship for all. Hopefully, this will be the first of many events like this one.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact me (email@example.com or 497-3438). Questions about transportation may also be directed to our bus driver for the evening – Charles Talley.
Thank you all,
The last devotional that was hosted at the Williams house was a great success. The teens enjoyed going somewhere besides the church building and having other options of activities. If you would be interested in hosting a devotional or Youth event at your house or at a different location, please let Kyle know. Our goal is to do one activity a month. We have August and September taken care of so if you would like to volunteer for another month please take advantage of the opportunity.
Girls and parents we are nearing the end of our study in the book Girl to Girl. We are looking for a new book to start studying on Sunday mornings. If you have a book that you are interested in studying or having your child study please let us know and we will look into it. We will still continue to study the various studies every other week and if you just have a topic suggestion for these classes let us know. All input from the girls and parents is encouraged. Our goal is to study the lesson with them in class and for it also to be talked about at home. We look forward to having these study opportunities with the children of all ages.
Since we had a break in our class due to VBS we are skipping lesson four in class. Please do still take the time to read the lesson on our own. You never know it might be talked about at another time. So this week we will be looking at lesson five. Please read this lesson it will help increase class conversation as a group.
VBS was a great success!! Thank you to all that helped. Thank you for inviting your friends to join us. Now, let’s continue to water the seeds that were planted during VBS. The bus will run for the next few weeks picking kids up to join us on Sunday Morning and Wednesday Night for bible class. Let us know if you know anybody that would be interested in riding the bus for these times.
For your enjoyment, here’s a clip from our singing during this year’s VBS…